6.22.2011

Ad Infinitum

I finally got around to doing a piece for Power In Numbers for Gallery Nucleus, which I've been wanting to do for a while now. This came out of a sketch, just messing around with symbols and text with image. I ended up using '∞' and working with the concept of infinity and a bunch of plays on meaning and the placing of the symbol in in correspondence to the figure. The image is inked with oil glazes on paper.

This is the prelim sketch for it, which I used to work out cropping and sizing and some more compositional and stylistic elements.
These are some initial sketches, initially I had a problem with the '∞' being rotated because it looks like an '8' and was going to have this landscape, but I decided I like it better portrait and it's not that much of an issue and the title of it isn't 'eight', so I don't think there's that much confusion. If you do get confused do me a favour and jump down an empty well. As always, I think the first sketch of the piece in my sketchbook (left page) is nicer than the final one, I guess I'll have to learn how to do everything in one take so I can live with myself. Anyway, hopefully the piece will be for sale on the Gallery Nucleus website soon and a percentage of the profit will go towards Red Cross, it's a really great project with loads of amazing artists involved, have a look/contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment